Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It was like this...

I was sitting at a Starbucks cafe that day, having a mango passion frappucino after a long meeting with a client nearby: it was a hot evening, and I remember struggling to try to stay cool and sweat-free in my blazer. Truth be told, I'd rip that damned blazer off in an instant if I were home- but I was in public, I hated the idea of my fat, slumpy arms being exposed. So I suffered and perspired in silence, sipping my frappucino so quickly that it went straight to my head and I had momentary brain-freeze while my teeth yelped out in pain from the cold, ice-blended drink. 

I sighed in contentment as the mist fan swirled a cool breeze in my direction, and while I fanned myself with my hands, my index finger caught the tail end of my dangly earring. The earring promptly fell out, and the tiny beads dangling at the base of the earring frame broke, and I cursed to myself, thinking, I could probably make better-quality jewelry myself!

And then it hit me how ingenious I was. And why the hell not? I was a quick learner, I loved jewelry and had always wanted to learn how to make my own (so that I didn't have to spend money buying them anymore)... and just like that, I knew this was something I wanted to do- for myself. 

And so- Whim & Fancy was born, although, then, the name hadn't yet hit me. Simply because I had no idea things would come to this- a business of sorts. Little old me, a boring old solicitor, taking up a new hobby, something as exciting as making beaded jewelry! But that's it for you- what started out as a hobby and a determination to do something new for myself, has since become a full-blown love affair with beading and handmade jewelry- from the nights poring over YouTube and free DIY tutorials on the internet... to actually selling my handmade items now to people (gosh!) who actually think they're pretty!

It is amazing how a split-second decision changes your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment