Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New Year, New Shites

We've entered the second month of the new year... Traditionally, I make New Year's Resolutions every year, but this year, I decided not to. Because 1) I rarely keep to my resolutions; and 2) I think I'm old enough to start doing things that need to be done without having to make any resolutions... 

Without having to reveal completely my intentions, goals and aspirations for the year, these are the things so far that I will be doing for 2009- they were not originally part of my resolutions: but I've found a compelling desire to try something new this year, to provoke the senses and challenge my abilities. I'm sure these will be challenging enough.

1) Sign up for a beading class: This, I've done. My beading course runs this weekend for two consecutive days of 4 1/2 hours for each session. In fact, I've started beading some simple jewellery (mostly ear-rings) on my own, using online tutorials or how-tos as a reference and guide. I have been doing pretty well- and I'm beginning to get somewhat addicted to this new hobby. I've purchased quite a fair bit of material, the important ones being the tools, of course. Beads and gemstones are expensive, and so are good quality findings (ear wires, headpins, eyepins, etc). I thought that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it right- so I invested some money in very good quality materials- not the stainless steel metal stuff you usually find in costume jewellery, and which can irritate skin: I invested in quality genuine sterling silver materials (imported from the US), Swarovski crystals, Czech seed and glass beads, Tibetan sterling beads, semi-precious gemstones, etc. At the same time, I also bought some slightly cheaper materials, to bring down the cost of items.

I really don't have any idea what I'm going to do with all the jewellery I've made. I may wear some of them myself- but mostly, I think of all the beautiful things and gifts I could make for my girlfriends, and I know they'd appreciate this a lot more, being handmade and all... Maybe, if I find enough courage and a general body of people who are interested, I may even sell them. We'll see. I'm just enjoying this for the time being.

2) Sign up for a professional slimming course: Done. This was at the behest of my father, who was tired of watching me go through my fad diets and numerous attempts to lose my post-pregnancy weight. It has been 3 years since I had my daughter, and I'm still struggling with the excess weight. I've done pretty well so far, I began the week before Chinese New Year and have dropped 2.5 kgs, without any exercise or excessive dieting. I'm trying to make a valiant effort to consume more liquids (water), and to make healthier choices in food. I've cut down on my intake of sugar, refined carbohydrates, excessive fat and oil, from my meals, and I feel the difference.

Of course, because I eat less, I invariably get hunger pangs and some dizzy spells, so I replenish my body with a lot of fluids (water or fresh fruit juices), and allow myself to eat some fruit. Once a day, though, I allow myself to eat what I want in moderation (carbohydrates, that is), and maybe indulge in some baked potato, or even french fries, or half a bowl of rice or noodles.

3) Make more serious attempts to write and get published: I'd always wanted to be a writer. I've written lots- short stories, poetry, a few stupid novels. I never feel like I'm good enough. This year, though, I decided to make a positive change and take some pro-active steps to do what I'd been afraid of for almost my entire life. I will attempt to get published- at least within the next 1-2 years. And the first step towards this goal: I will be signing up for a creative writing course with the Writers Bureau of the United Kingdom. I had a heart-to-heart talk with my father, and with his concurrence, I felt that this would prepare me for the potential obstacles a writer would face in the literary world. More to come on this...

4) Plan a girls' outing: Ever since I had got married, and then, had my daughter, my time with my girlfriends, and particularly, my BFF, has been limited. There was always the need to plan events around my daughter, the need to make sure I wouldn't be missed, that I could get some kind of help from either my husband or parents to watch her while I was away. This year, with daughter hitting the 4-year old mark in October, meant that I would be slightly more liberated to spend time with my girlfriends. A preliminary idea was to attend the Rainforest World Musical Festival in Sarawak in July together. Just a plan, but hopefully, one that will lead to fruition.

5) Strive for partnership in the firm: Enough said. All that comes to mind is, be a great leader, be organized, command respect and friendship. To stay focused on the goal and to remain confident at all times.

6) Do something completely outrageous (for myself): I'm still thinking of this...

So what happens now? These all seem like resolutions- but without according to them the dignity of the word "resolution", I am more completely at ease and don't feel like I'd be a failure if I never achieved these goals or aspirations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment